Monday, November 22, 2010

Ceci n'est pas une chaise

I just finished an encaustic piece to donate to the Bisbee Women's Club Chair Auction this weekend. The piece is called "Ceci n'est pas une chaise", or "This is not a chair".

So here's the finished 8x10 piece - my one and only created this month. It was hard to get back in the studio after completing the "Mirror Mirror" series. Now after a little breather, it's time for more encaustic studio AND photography!!!

 As you can see the chair has a bit of motion to it ala Dali, "Still Life, Fast Moving".

Side View

After going round and round with the fact thatthis  is NOT a chair that I'm donating to the chair auction, I finally came up with the text and title, "Ceci n'est pas un chaise.", of course inspired by none other than:
Rene Magritte, The Treachery of Images, 1928-29
From Wikipedia:
Magritte's work frequently displays a juxtaposition of ordinary objects in an unusual context, giving new meanings to familiar things. The representational use of objects as other than what they seem is typified in his painting, The Treachery of Images (La trahison des images), which shows a pipe that looks as though it is a model for a tobacco store advertisement. Magritte painted below the pipe "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" ("This is not a pipe"), which seems a contradiction, but is actually true: the painting is not a pipe, it is an image of a pipe. It does not "satisfy emotionally"—when Magritte once was asked about this image, he replied that of course it was not a pipe, just try to fill it with tobacco.

Of course my image is not a chair, just try to sit in it. Hope somebody likes it at the auction though.

3 comments:

  1. Your line about trying to sit in it made me laugh! Good luck and I hope you fetch a decent auction price, Liz.
    I hope to see more of what you've been up to very soon. In the air as we speak, landing in Tucson this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever and fun title, Liz! I read a similar quote recently by Picasso, I think, regarding realism, and it made me laugh.

    Hope the painting does well at the auction :).

    ReplyDelete